I am sat in a hotel bar in Barcelona doing email for an hour before I catch a flight home from our annual strategy offsite and I’m feeling good about the two days we just spent here. We’ve been doing these offsites for a few years now in one form or another and this time we got the recipe about right:
- The level of preparation was good
- The main session yesterday was well structured and focused on our number one priority – making 8-10 great investments over the next twelve months
- We flexed the agenda in realtime to maintain a quality conversation, dropping one entire section (to be picked up back in London)
- We listened too each other
- We took decisions
- We had some fun – last night especially, and visiting the Torres Winery today
- We had the whole team here, including our non-investing staff
As a result I think we head home with a clearer idea of how we will achieve success in the next year, a few kinks ironed out of our processes, and us all feeling stronger as a team.
Good quality face to face time is invaluable.